Add to Technorati Favorites   Subscribe in Rojo   Add to Google     

Friday, October 20, 2006

An Exploration of the Virtue of Christ in the Tao Teh Ching

The Tao Teh Ching is what initially led me to Christ. At 15, my dad gave me a pocket-sized edition of the Tao Teh Ching. I glanced at it a few times but it seemed way out there. At 18, when living in the dormitories of my university, I picked it up again and this time I became engulfed. For nearly 18 consecutive months I read, read, and re-read this book an extraordinary number of times until suddenly something strange and revealing began to occur…Christ Jesus introduced himself to me.

For many years, 12 in fact, I lived with Christ in a casual and convenient way, reading Scripture here and there while also reading other spiritual and religious works. None of what I read ever had the impact on me that Lao Tzu’s words did in the Tao Teh Ching.

Today, I walk with Christ in a conscious, transparent, and invigorating way and read Scripture diligently. Still, the passages in the Tao Teh Ching written by Lao Tzu more than 2500 years ago continue to reveal the Virtue of Christ that can not be ignored. In my opinion, Lao Tzu was walking with Christ during his time but did not have the background and labels of Christ available to him that were identified in the Old Testament. His work is profound and his message is Godly. A scholar of Tao will find that the principles identified in this work can be applied to any situation throughout all time. Essentially, their meaning is timeless and eternal.

There are several sites on the Web that publish words of this book online, but none that I have found offer a take and a direction on how they tie in with the Virtue and Wisdom of Christ. Therefore, I have created my own site, called ChrisTao, which eventually will feature all 81 passages in the Tao Teh Ching along with initial commentary from me on each passage.

The web address is http://christao.wordpress.com/ and the site will be an exploration of the ties between Christianity and Taoism. My hope is to verify for certain if the virtue and wisdom written in this book are indeed the Virtue and Wisdom of Christ. Your participation is welcome and I will be sure to remain open minded and resolute about the content that is posted.

Godspeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home