Add to Technorati Favorites   Subscribe in Rojo   Add to Google     

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Meadowcroft Presbyterian Church of America

[www] www.meadowcroftchurch.org

Meadowcroft attracted me for several reasons, but most importantly, Meadowcroft came in to my life at the discretion and authority of God. My wife and I had been attending various church services for many months but we had not settled down with any one congregation. The need for consistent attendance at the same church was thickening.

After consulting with my C12 group, I was counseled to go with a congregation that suited me while my wife continued on with her search. Almost immediately I had come in to contact with Dave Weidis from ADF who invited me to visit Meadowcroft where he is an active member.

My first visit was solo and it was more out of courtesy than anything. My wife is Russian Orthodox and a Protestant church would not work for her. Knowing this, I attended anyway and instantly felt God calling me to return.

The congregation had been meeting in the auditorium of Cheyney University because it was on a 5-year journey to restore an old barn in the area with its own dollars, time, and labor and the university was providing the church with a place to meet during this period. The church was rich with families which for me were important being a new dad and husband. The worship music was contemporary but real and homegrown for a musician like me to appreciate. Most importantly, the sermon hit home for me with the vigor, boldness, and the truthfulness that I needed.

I continued to attend Meadowcroft on a regular basis and also began playing guitar with the worship group led by Dave Weidis. My calling to the church had grown to a point where it began to cause conflict with my home life as my wife felt that I was putting too much time into church and other ministry-related activity such as C12. As a result I pulled out of the worship group.

Today I am a regular attendee at Meadowcroft but I am not a member. My wife does not participate but I do bring my son to most services and he now enjoys his time in the nursery. The church has been more patient and supportive with my challenges in a Protestant faith than I could ever imagine. The level of gratitude I have for Meadowcroft members is probably not noticeable, and I pray that in time it can be.

I am no longer playing with the worship group but I have recently begun participating with the Youth Group as a leader. I am excited about this unexpected change in participation with the church because it is important for me to be part of the church and give back to the people. The Youth Group is just that. Watching these kids interact with each other in the name of our Lord Christ Jesus is awe inspiring, as this is not something that existed in my life as a teen.

Praise be to God and may God always bless Meadowcroft and its members. When you step back and look at all the ministry activity going on at Meadowcroft you realize that only by the grace of God is so much goodness able to protrude from a group of this modest size.

Shouts out to Dave Weidis for inviting me and sticking with me all this time; shouts out to Pastor Dan Kiehl for being a steward to God’s word and for his deep commitment to Meadowcroft. These two men alone have inspired me to step up my faith with the Lord and give back to Meadowcroft however He sees fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home